Inspired by Jewish values and ideals, MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger is a national advocacy organization working to end hunger among people of all faiths and backgrounds in the United States and Israel.
For more than 35 years, MAZON has worked to ensure that laws, policies, and regulations governing access to food are available, accessible, and meaningful to those who need them, particularly populations whose unique needs are too often overlooked: veterans, currently serving military families, those living on Tribal lands and in rural America, seniors and particularly LGBT seniors, and single mothers. Our efforts are designed to provide people with the resources they need in a manner that is dignified and without judgement. All people — regardless of the circumstances that led to their need for assistance — must have access to adequate, nutritious food, while retaining their choice, agency, and dignity.
MAZON is a leading voice in Washington, D.C. on anti-hunger issues. We work independently and in coalition with partners to protect and strengthen government nutrition programs that help people put food on the table, explore innovative solutions to persistent challenges to food security, and undertake unique strategies to bring such solutions to fruition. We educate communities across the country about the reality of hunger and how they can join us to help end it. We also provide funding to expand advocacy, training, and resources to nonprofit organizations across the United States and Israel, which includes a range of partnerships with food banks, legal-service organizations, statewide coalitions, and advocacy groups.
MAZON is an equal-opportunity employer and seeks to be an anti-racist organization through its commitment to diversity, inclusion, and justice.
MAZON seeks an astute, driven, and detail-oriented Communications Manager who will work with the Director of Communications to implement a strategic, multi-faceted communications program designed to promote the organization’s advocacy priorities as well as build and strengthen the organization's role and reputation as a leader and authoritative voice in its field. The Communications Manager will be a skilled generalist — someone who embraces the importance of myriad communications, advocacy, and marketing activities, and understands how each have the potential to influence perception, attitude, and behavior among varied audiences.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Director of Communications to implement cross-channel communications strategy and various public relations tactics (including traditional, digital, and social media) to advance MAZON’s advocacy, development, and programmatic goals.
- Manage MAZON’s online presence, including website and social media platforms. Provide regular and comprehensive analysis of MAZON’s digital engagement and opportunities to grow brand visibility.
- Collaborate with Development and Outreach departments to capture MAZON’s unique voice in all outward-facing materials and communications.
- Monitor and stay up to date on anti-hunger issues in mainstream and niche media outlets, and identify opportunities for MAZON to engage.
- Coordinate with all MAZON departments and key partners to support organizational initiatives and develop supplemental materials as needed.
- Curate MAZON’s photo library and story bank.
- Support Director of Communications in coordinating public-facing events.
- Build and maintain relationships with media contacts, both reactive and proactive, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree a plus.
- Experience working in a nonprofit and/or public affairs organization highly desired. Social justice, anti-hunger, or Jewish community experience a plus.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in communications and/or PR, with demonstrated ability to craft, design, and disseminate external-facing content through traditional and digital channels.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent judgment, critical thinking, analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Keen eye for design and attention to detail.
- Ability to take direction well, manage deadlines efficiently, work independently, and collaborate effectively with various teams and partners.
- Some nights and weekends are required.
Compensation and Benefits:
MAZON offers a compensation package that includes a competitive salary range of $64,000 to $67,000. Employer-paid benefits include comprehensive medical insurance as well as Life/Disability/AD&D insurance. Other benefits include a 401K plan with an employer match, FSA participation, and dental, vision, and AFLAC insurance at a discounted group rate. MAZON offers a very generous vacation and sick time plan and holiday schedule, including all major Jewish holidays. We close early on Fridays in observance of Shabbat. We have a fun office environment (even virtually!) and a fantastic team who are dedicated to the meaningful work we do.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.