Deputy Director of Communications
Position Title: Deputy Director of Communications
Inspired by Jewish values and ideals, MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger is a national advocacy organization working to end hunger among people of all faiths and backgrounds in the United States and Israel. Founded in 1985, MAZON, which means “food” in Hebrew, was the first national organization to rally the American Jewish community around the issue of hunger and remains the only national Jewish organization dedicated exclusively to that same cause.
MAZON supports anti-hunger and advocacy programs in local communities across the United States and uses its influence and resources at the state and national levels to help people who are at risk of hunger. Through direct advocacy, pursuing public policy change, and addressing the stigma that surrounds hunger, we work to change the systems that allow hunger to persist.
Working with and listening to its broad network of anti-hunger, social justice, and Jewish community partners, MAZON identifies overlooked issues and vulnerable populations and finds policy solutions that meet unmet needs. We spotlight these issues, elevating them to the level of national conversation and placing them on the national policy agenda.
MAZON seeks a Deputy Director of Communications who will work with the Director of Communications to implement a strategic, multi-faceted communications program designed to promote the organization’s advocacy priorities, as well as build and strengthen the organization's role and reputation as a leader and authoritative voice in its field. The Deputy Director of Communications will have experience with communications or public relations. This position will work closely with MAZON’s Development department and will be a liaison between the Communications and Development departments. The Deputy Director of Communications reports to the Director of Communications.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Work closely with the Director of Communications on advocacy and public relations activities (traditional, digital and social) to help advance MAZON’s advocacy agenda.
• Monitor and remain current on anti-hunger trends, public policies, and political, social or cultural developments that may present unique opportunities to raise MAZON’s profile and brand.
• Conceive, write, edit, design and maintain organizational and programmatic content – newsletters, web and blog posts, one-pagers, brochures, ads, infographics, etc.
• Build and foster collaborative relationships with other departments within the organization to stay informed of new and ongoing initiatives.
• Media relations – support and take direction from the Director of Communications in building internal media lists on the Cision communications platform for press releases and message targeting
• Compile information for reporters and provide deputy functions in outreach to editorial Boards and newsrooms
• Social media – capability to identify and frame current events to strengthen MAZON’s brand and message
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree a plus.
• Minimum 4 years of experience in communications and/or PR, with demonstrated responsibility for writing and design of external-facing content
• Must have experience pitching media, be organized and goal-oriented.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent judgment, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Keen eye for design and attention to detail
• Ability to take direction well is a must.
• Experience working in a nonprofit that engages in advocacy highly desired. Anti-hunger experience a plus.
• Understanding of Judaism and experience working within the Jewish community preferred.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing samples to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger is an Equal Opportunity Employer.