Deputy Director of Public Policy
The Deputy Director of Public Policy will work closely with the VP of Public Policy to implement MAZON’s advocacy program, including developing its advocacy priorities, providing information and materials to support the advocacy efforts undertaken by MAZON, and devising strategies to implement those priorities. The position is located in MAZON’s Washington DC office.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Developing and advancing MAZON’s advocacy and policy work, including collaborating with key MAZON staff to implement the annual advocacy agendas, policy positions and advocacy strategies as articulated by the Board of Directors.
- Serving as an effective and visible spokesperson for MAZON, increasing awareness of MAZON’s advocacy and policy goals, and broadening MAZON’s reputation and visibility among elected and appointed officials, the media and others.
- Monitoring and responding to federal and state anti-hunger legislation and providing technical assistance on Capitol Hill and with the Administration.
- Producing advocacy-related materials such as action alerts, memos and background information as well as presentations for meetings and briefings to engage key stakeholders in MAZON’s advocacy work.
- Experience with issues of priority to MAZON strongly desired.
- Establishing and cultivating strong relationships with both interfaith and issue based allies and coalitions on issues including hunger in America, in Israel and in portions of the developing world.
- Cultivating relationships with DC area synagogues and community agency partners to increase awareness of and engagement in MAZON’s mission and activities.
- Assisting MAZON’s National Synagogue Organizer in developing and implementing local advocacy strategies for synagogues and advising them on relevant legislation.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Four to six years of prior/related work experience on Capitol Hill, with government agencies or, with related public policy or community relations organizations required.
- Knowledge or experience with food insecurity issues highly desired.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong analytical ability, particularly around policy and legislation.
- Outstanding relationship builder with the integrity, maturity, confidence, wisdom and collaborative skills necessary to work effectively with a wide array of stakeholders.
- Record of success as a positive and persuasive leader.
- Familiarity with the use of digital/social media technology in advocacy campaigns desired.
- Capacity to work independently, take initiative and be self-directed.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office required. Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Ability to travel, including to represent MAZON at outside meetings.
- Familiarity with Jewish community is a plus.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Deputy Director of Public Policy in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger is an Equal Opportunity Employer