Deputy Director of Public Policy
Position Title: Deputy Director of Public Policy
Inspired by Jewish values and ideals, MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger is a national advocacy organization working to end hunger among people of all faiths and backgrounds in the United States and Israel.
MAZON, which means “food” or “sustenance” in Hebrew, was the first national organization to rally the American Jewish community around the issue of hunger and remains the only national Jewish organization dedicated exclusively to that same cause.
MAZON has established itself as a leading voice in Washington D.C. on anti-hunger policy issues, especially those that involve populations or problems that have been previously overlooked or ignored. MAZON works independently and in coalition with partners to engage policymakers to protect and strengthen vital government nutrition programs that help people put food on the table each day. We educate and engage Jewish communities across the country about the realities of hunger and ways they can get involved to help end it. MAZON also provides funding, training and resources to support the advocacy work of partner organizations across the United States, including food banks, legal-service organizations, statewide coalitions, and advocacy groups.
The Deputy Director of Public Policy will work closely with the VP of Public Policy to implement MAZON’s advocacy program, including developing its advocacy priorities, providing information and materials to support the advocacy efforts undertaken by MAZON, and devising strategies to implement those priorities. The position is located in MAZON’s Washington DC office.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Contributing to the development and advancement of MAZON’s advocacy and policy work, including collaborating with key MAZON staff to identify, implement, evaluate, and update the organization’s advocacy priorities, policy positions, and advocacy strategies as articulated by the Board of Directors.
- Serving as an effective and visible spokesperson for MAZON, increasing awareness of MAZON’s advocacy and policy goals, and broadening MAZON’s reputation and visibility among elected and appointed officials, partner organizations, the media, and others.
- Monitoring and responding to federal and state anti-hunger legislation, communicating about MAZON support or input to sponsoring legislative offices, and providing technical assistance on Capitol Hill and with the Administration.
- Assist with monitoring proposed regulatory actions, analyzing potential impacts, and drafting formal comments on behalf of MAZON.
- Producing advocacy-related materials such as action alerts, memos, fact sheets, and background information as well as presentations for meetings and briefings to engage key stakeholders in MAZON’s advocacy work.
- Contributing content for website, blogs, and social media postings, including assistance with live tweeting, livestreaming events, and social media advocacy campaigns.
- Working with the Outreach and Engagement team to strengthen and maintain relationships with community organizations to advance policy.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Four to six years of prior/related work experience on Capitol Hill, with government agencies, or with relevant public policy or advocacy organizations required.
- Knowledge of or experience with food insecurity policy issues highly desired, as is familiarity with MAZON’s priority issues.
- Familiarity with Jewish culture, values and teachings important.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong analytical ability, particularly around policy and legislation.
- Outstanding relationship builder with the integrity, maturity, confidence, wisdom and collaborative skills necessary to work effectively with a wide array of stakeholders.
- Record of success as a positive and persuasive leader and team player.
- Familiarity with the use of digital/social media technology in advocacy campaigns desired.
- Capacity to work independently, take initiative and be self-directed.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office required. Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Ability to travel, including to represent MAZON at outside meetings.
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with Deputy Director of Public Policy in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger is an Equal Opportunity Employer.