Director of Communications
MAZON seeks an ambitious, innovative and collaborative Director of Communications who will provide overall leadership and direction for a strategic, multi-faceted communications program designed to promote the organization’s advocacy priorities and strengthen MAZON’s reputation as an authoritative voice in the anti-hunger field. Reporting to the President & CEO, The Director of Communications will foster strategic alignment between communications objectives and advocacy strategies. As a member of the senior management team, they will also ensure consistent communication of MAZON’s image and position, both within the organization and externally to partners, donors, other stakeholders, and the general public.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Lead efforts to develop overall communication and public relations activities (traditional, digital and social) to help advance MAZON’s advocacy agenda while building awareness and affinity for the organization
• Establish and nurture relationships with reporters, editors, media outlets – traditional and non-traditional; develop and implement media strategy that’s informed by those relationships.
• Create high-impact strategic campaigns focused on strong calls to action across both online and offline channels
• Oversee the development, distribution, and maintenance of all organizational and programmatic content for media – newsletters, web and blog posts, one-pagers, brochures, ads, infographics, videos, and more
• Identify opportunities to support organizational initiatives and develop communications materials and programs to promote and publicize these activities
• Build and foster collaborative relationships with other departments within the organization to stay informed and abreast of new and ongoing initiatives
• Provide strong leadership and strategic direction. Develop and set individual and departmental team performance goals
• Monitor and remain current on anti-hunger trends, public policies, and political, social or cultural developments that may present unique opportunities to raise MAZON’s profile
• Some nights and weekends are required.
• Other duties as assigned
• A minimum of 10 years of experience, including managerial experience
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree a plus
• Strong experience conceiving and implementing strategic campaigns for advocacy with measurable results
• Proven track record of creating a test-and-learn culture of experimentation and implementation
• Pragmatic, strategic thinker
• Ability to communicate highly complex information to influence results and achieve strategic goals across multiple projects
• Experience with media outreach, with a proven track record of establishing and implementing branding, communication and marketing campaign strategies with measurable results.
• Experience working in a nonprofit that engages in advocacy highly desired. Social justice and/or anti-hunger experience a plus.
• Experience in managing and facilitating relationships with outside vendors and contractors
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent judgment, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Displays a strong sense of vision, sophistication and a collaborative, creative, and strategic approach to communication
• Must have a professional demeanor. Must be capable of working with diverse team members, prioritizing work effectively and meaningfully, and juggling multiple priorities at any given time.
• A keen eye for design and attention to detail
• The Director of Communications must have a positive, can-do attitude and seek creative solutions to communications challenges.
• Experience with SilverStripe, Google analytics and Adobe Creative Suite
• Understanding of Judaism and experience working within the Jewish community preferred.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.