MAZON is not just a Jewish response to hunger, it is the Jewish response to hunger — the collective voice of an age-old people who know how to change the world. Through MAZON, we express our particular passion for justice and our communal commitment to uplifting all people.
Inspired by Jewish values and ideals, MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger is a national advocacy organization working to end hunger among people of all faiths and backgrounds in the United States and Israel.
For nearly 38 years, MAZON has worked to ensure that laws, policies, and regulations governing access to food are available, accessible, and meaningful to those who need them, particularly populations whose unique needs are too often overlooked: veterans, currently serving military families, Indigenous communities, LGBTQ seniors, single mothers, and the people of Puerto Rico. Our efforts are designed to provide people with the resources they need in a manner that is dignified and without judgement. All people — regardless circumstance — must have access to adequate, nutritious food, while retaining their choice, agency, and dignity.
MAZON is a leading national voice on anti-hunger issues. We work independently and in coalition with partners to protect and strengthen government nutrition programs that help people put food on the table, explore innovative solutions to persistent challenges to food security, and undertake unique strategies to bring such solutions to fruition. We educate communities across the country about the reality of hunger and how they can join us to help end it. We also provide funding to expand advocacy, training, and resources to nonprofit organizations across the United States and Israel, which includes a range of partnerships with local advocacy groups, food banks, legal-service organizations, and statewide coalitions.
The DC Administrative Assistant will oversee the general administrative functions of the DC office and the Public Policy and Communications departments. The position will also assist other departments as needed. The Administrative Assistant will report to the Deputy Director of Public Policy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Front desk reception duties; sorts mail, receives packages and ships packages as needed
- Primary person on the phone; answers, screens, and directs phone calls to staff.
- Oversees the inventory, acquisition, distribution, and storage of office supplies and coordinates maintenance of office equipment.
- Acts as main contact for DC office and coordinates building and maintenance upkeep and repair with building management.
- Provides support to the Policy and Communications department
- Assists as needed with other departments and offices
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience in a similar role, preferably at a non-profit or government organization
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office and Adobe
- Working knowledge of Salesforce or similar database experience
- Flexibility and adaptability in various situations and when interacting with many different personalities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
Compensation and Benefits:
MAZON offers a compensation package that includes a competitive salary range of $50,000 to $54,000. Employer-paid benefits include comprehensive medical insurance as well as Life/Disability/AD&D insurance. Other benefits include a 401K plan with an employer match, FSA participation, and dental, vision, and AFLAC insurance at a discounted group rate. MAZON offers a very generous vacation and sick time plan and holiday schedule, including all major Jewish holidays. We close early on Fridays in observance of Shabbat. We have a fun office environment (even virtually!) and a fantastic team who are dedicated to the meaningful work we do.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and applicants will be contacted within 4–6 weeks of submission (potentially earlier) if they have been selected for an interview.
Please note: Applicants who meet our minimum application qualifications as outlined in the Job Description may be contacted to submit additional materials required by our hiring committee. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
MAZON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MAZON is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including people of color, people with disabilities, people of all gender identities, people of all races and national origins, veterans and LBGTQIA individuals. We strive for a diverse workforce, and we acknowledge that our diversity also comes from our experiences and perspectives. We want all staff and team members to be treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to ensuring that you can carry out your assigned mission in an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.