MAZON collaborates with diverse stakeholders to showcase what’s possible: a country built on compassion, mutual support, and meaningful opportunity. By reflecting on the world as it is, we create a vision of what it could be — one where those in need are supported, the powerful are held to account, and hunger is a distant memory.
One of the most important tools in our toolbox as advocates is speaking truth directly (or virtually) to power in a legislative meeting. Join MAZON’s fight to end hunger as we underscore the unique value of federal nutrition programs, which provide direct support to people facing food insecurity. Programs like SNAP provide assistance without judgment, showing recipients both dignity and respect, and providing live-saving benefits that keep Americans healthy, safe, and well-nourished. Please contact Liza Lieberman, Director of Communications, with any questions about how to utilize this toolkit.
1. Build a team
- Make your dream team: Convene a group of community members to join your team (faith leaders, local business/agriculture leaders, direct service providers, etc.).
- Research: Find contact information for your Members of Congress
- Act: Contact their offices using these tips and this sample meeting request letter.
2. Prepare for your meeting
- Convene a prep meeting/call to determine speaking roles for meeting participants.
- Read through MAZON’s advocacy guidance.
- Educate yourself about hunger in America using MAZON’s materials.
- Arrange for a participant to share a story in the meeting to illustrate the reality and/or scope of hunger in your community.
- Share a story from MAZON’s story bank.
3. Report back and follow up
- Fill out MAZON’s Lobby Visit Report Form and contact Sammy Chavin, Public Policy Associate, with any questions.
- Email or send a letter to thank the Member of Congress and/or staffers, and provide any additional information that was discussed.
- Email to thank all meeting participants for joining and discuss next steps.
4. Stay engaged
- Sign up for MAZON E-News and Advocacy Alerts to receive updates about important public policy issues.
- Post on social media and tag your legislators on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram — and tag @MAZONusa.
- Take a photo with this selfie sign and post your photo on social media tagging @MAZONusa with the hashtag #EndHunger.
Include MAZON in Your Bar/Bat Mitzvah
Jewish tradition teaches that we deepen our own happiness when we share our joyous celebrations with people in need. MAZON has created materials to integrate meaningful tzedakah and tikkun olam opportunities into Bar and Bat Mitzvah celebrations.