MAZON collaborates with diverse stakeholders to showcase what’s possible: a country built on compassion, mutual support, and meaningful opportunity. By reflecting on the world as it is, we create a vision of what it could be — one where those in need are supported, the powerful are held to account, and hunger is a distant memory.
One of the most important tools in our toolbox as advocates is speaking truth directly (or virtually) to power in a legislative meeting. Join MAZON’s fight to end hunger as we underscore the unique value of federal nutrition programs, which provide direct support to people facing food insecurity. Programs like SNAP provide assistance without judgment, showing recipients both dignity and respect, and providing live-saving benefits that keep Americans healthy, safe, and well-nourished. Please contact Josh Protas, Vice President of Public Policy, with any questions about how to utilize this toolkit.
- Make your dream team: Convene a group of community members to join your team (faith leaders, local business/agriculture leaders, direct service providers, etc.).
- Research: Find contact information for your Members of Congress
- Act: Contact their offices using these tips and this sample meeting request letter.
- Convene a prep meeting/call to determine speaking roles for meeting participants.
- Read through MAZON’s advocacy guidance.
- Educate yourself about hunger in America using MAZON’s materials.
- Arrange for a participant to share a story in the meeting to illustrate the reality and/or scope of hunger in your community.
- Share a story from MAZON’s story bank.
- Fill out MAZON’s Lobby Visit Report Form and contact Sammi Goldsmith, Deputy Director of Public Policy, with any questions.
- Email or send a letter to thank the Member of Congress and/or staffers, and provide any additional information that was discussed.
- Email to thank all meeting participants for joining and discuss next steps.
- Sign up for MAZON E-News and Advocacy Alerts to receive updates about important public policy issues.
- Post on social media and tag your legislators on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram — and tag @MAZONusa.
- Take a photo with this selfie sign and post your photo on social media tagging @MAZONusa with the hashtag #EndHunger.
Make a gift to MAZON’s Spotlight Fund
Your partnership allows MAZON to be the national Jewish voice dedicated to fighting hunger, particularly for those facing hunger whose struggles are too often over-looked, disregarded, or discounted. Together, we have made a commitment to shine a spotlight on those issues and populations where larger organizations and the government have yet to turn their focus.
Your support of MAZON’s Spotlight Fund helps us fight hunger, particularly for those who are often over-looked, disregarded, or discounted. Together, we shine a spotlight on issues of food insecurity among military families, veterans, Native Americans, single mothers, LGBTQ seniors, college students, and the people of Puerto Rico and the territories. Your gift today strengthens this mission and helps to build a community dedicated to ending hunger for everyone. Join us.
Include MAZON in Your Bar/Bat Mitzvah
Jewish tradition teaches that we deepen our own happiness when we share our joyous celebrations with people in need. MAZON has created materials to integrate meaningful tzedakah and tikkun olam opportunities into Bar and Bat Mitzvah celebrations.
Educate Your Community
MAZON offers a suite of materials to help educate and engage individuals and communities about the scope of hunger and how we can work together to end it. Learn more.
This is Hunger
MAZON’s powerful, immersive digital video experience explores who struggles with hunger in America and why. This Is Hunger features images by renowned photographer and documentarian Barbara Grover, with concept design by Marni Gittleman. Learn more.