Quick Reaction Fund
Now more than ever, MAZON recognizes the need for anti-hunger movement leaders to respond quickly to pressing issues that will disproportionally impact the lives of food insecure people. MAZON’s Quick Reaction Fund (QRF) addresses this need by providing assistance for special initiatives and actions around the country that may emerge at a moment’s notice and for which a targeted and strategic action will result in a meaningful response.
To protect vital government programs that support the most vulnerable Americans and elevate the voices of those working to end hunger by providing financial resources to energize a quick and immediate response to time sensitive opportunities or challenges.
- MAZON’s Quick Reaction Fund provides one-time grants in amounts ranging from $500-$15,000. Recognizing that qualifying opportunities are time-sensitive, MAZON will process all QRF grant applications as quickly as is possible, with a target of responding within a few business days.
- Note: Special consideration may be given to opportunities addressing hunger within MAZON’s priority programmatic areas: Native Americans, seniors, particularly LGBT seniors, currently serving military and veterans, rural and remote communities and college students. Preference will also be given to state and local organizations.
Grant applications must meet the following criteria to be eligible for funding from MAZON’s Quick Reaction Fund:
- Emphasis on Anti-Hunger Advocacy: The proposal must be in response to an unexpected challenge or opportunity for advocacy or organizing that will advance the anti-hunger agenda and/or protect nutritional safety net programs.
- Immediate and Important: The specific event, opportunity, or challenge to which your organization is responding must be unforeseen and/or time sensitive.
- Opportunity for Impact: Grant funds must have an immediate, clear and realistic impact on the event, opportunity or challenge to which the organization is responding.
- Organizational status: All potential QRF grantees, including faith-based groups, must be a public-benefit charity with an IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt status. MAZON cannot grant to individuals.
The QRF will support
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. To submit a request, please complete the online application and submit the following documents:
- 501(c)(3) IRS letter or Letter of Resolution from your fiscal sponsor
- Project budget and background
Why a Quick Reaction Fund?
MAZON remains committed to ensuring that vulnerable people have access to the resources they need to be able to put food on the table. We continue to promote advocacy as the most powerful way to create change that has a lasting effect on the lives of millions of people.
However, our nation has entered a new and exceptionally uncertain time. The programs that comprise the federal nutrition safety net are especially vulnerable, facing their greatest threat since they were established more than 50 years ago. Actions at the state level will take on additional import in light of many of these threats. These new challenges motivate us to expand our repertoire of potential responses. For more than 30 years, MAZON has supported advocates across the country on an annual grantmaking cycle. In the current environment, our Quick Reaction Fund allows advocates of all types to be nimble, so they can take advantage of opportunities that may arise at a moment’s notice.
CLICK HERE TO READ THE PRESS RELEASE
Please contact Program Officer, Alexis Miller.